Home Insurance

Free Mortgage Advice

Home Insurance

There are two types of household insurance – buildings and contents. They are separate entities but can normally be bought together, usually with a discount applied to the monthly premium.

Building Insurance

Having buildings insurance is mandatory when taking a mortgage, regardless of whether you’re buying a property or remortgaging. It is a condition of every mortgage offer that buildings insurance is in place.

Aside from the mandatory aspect, insuring your property and contents is important. Imagine having to rebuild your property or replace all of your contents following a flood or fire. That’s why buildings insurance is compulsory, to protect both you and the mortgage lender from the unexpected.

Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance covers the loss of or damage to the contents of your home. This includes your furniture, electrical goods and other items within your home. Some policies cover you for items you take outside, for example cameras, jewellery and briefcases.

Different policies offer different levels of cover but generally you'll be covered against theft and fire, and have the option to insure against damage you may cause by accident. There’s a variety of options and things to consider, including the specific level of contents insurance you require which varies from one person to the next. Our advisers will talk you through your options, ensuring we tailor the right policy to you and your home.